Monday, February 9, 2009

Mockup 4 Review

I will be continuing with reviewing the different mockups built for the devcathlon game.  For my final devcathlon mockup review, I will be looking at the team of Anthony Du, John Ly, and Robin Raqueno. 

  

After signing into the mockup site, I was first taken to the user’s home page.  Not much difference in this page in contrast to the other two teams I previously reviewed.  So I then proceeded to the next option on the top tab menu, the user’s profile page.  Even though this page has a different lay out, it contained similar links like the home page did.  I’m presuming that in the next mockup version, they will eliminate the home page and just have the profile page be the page displayed once the user logs onto the site. 

  

The further I went into the site; I realize that it had the some similarities to the other two team mockups, team 5 and team 6.  The logical structure remained the same, along with the lay out of the pages.  The lay out of the pages took advantage of using as much of the empty white spaces to add more items into the page. 

  

One new feature I saw from this mockup was the collapse and expanding of parts of the page.  With the ability to expand and collapse the pages, you can fit more items onto the page with out having it increase in size initially.  Although I it was a good idea to implement this new feature, I did see some draw back.  In the “my team page”, there was no reference to having the ability to expand the page; unlike the other two pages, my profile and my matches pages, with this ability.  The developer should have included possibly an arrow or a “show/hide” option.  Other than that small draw back, this new feature was very good. 

  

The ranking system was somewhat amusing, yet socially offensive.  The ranking page was just an image, unlike the other two groups; it was not organized like a list.  The achievement badges page was structurally like the other two groups, but with less content to look at.  Also none of the input fields work, but that’s understandable; since this is just a user interface mockup. 

 

 Conclusion

Everything for this mockup looked good; some parts were different from the other two groups.  In a match page, they added in a section called the Most Valuable Programmer.  With this section, users and viewers can see who the MVP of the entire match was; which again would bring out some spirit of competition, other users wanting that kind of recognition.  Also because of the collapse and expand feature, the pages seemed compress; creating more empty places to add more things.  Over all this mockup is looks really nice, with the good use of css and adding in new graphics.  

No comments: