Wednesday, February 25, 2009

Devcathlon: Creating the events

This week we continue the development of the Devcathlon game, we were assigned with implementing the starter events for the game. The event i chose to program was the "Build Everyday" event. This event will check if each team thats participating in a match and look at each team member within those teams, to see if everyone has done a build for the day. If no one has built, the team is deducted points; if everyone has built at least once that day, the team receives points; if only one person of the team built for that day, there will be no distribution of points; and lastly, if the team has a consecutive 7 day build streak, then the team is awarded bonus points.

I had a lot of trouble implementing this new event, one of the biggest was checking for the seven day streak. I never got to fully test my bonus method; during the last minutes of the assignment, things just didn't want to work anymore. Also another problem was, I lost track of finding more than one team members build data. I haven't completely solved this problem yet; I have written steps to find each member, but i just need to find the right methods within the Devcathlon.

Conclusion
This was a very challenging and complex assignment. Complex, not in the file i implemented, but complex in the size of the entire program. Also i should have uploaded my code more often, but I was always afraid of breaking the build on the Hudson server, which checks our file for errors. This has been an overall good experience and I will continue on the completion of my event, just need to work out the fixes for the bonus and finding each members build data.

Screen cast
The screen cast the professor has provided for the Hackystat and the Devcathlon are great. I can download them and always refer to it when I forget how to retrieve different types of sensor data. The only problem I see is when a line of code runs off the screen, I would have to try to guess what it is; but the good thing is, I can always rewind it to hear him explain what he's typing out. I wish to see many more tutorial screen casts.

No comments: