Monday, March 16, 2009

ICS 499: Wanna see my Calendar?


This week I have taken a further step into learning to use Dream Weaver and the Yahoo User interface.  In my other class, ICS 414, we for the past week we have been implementing the web user interface for our project, the Decathlon.  I recently remembered something my professor said about the user interface, “It would be cool to have a calendar, where you can select a date”.  With what he said in mind, I proceeded to learn on creating a calendar for the Dev-UI (Devcathlon User Interface).

 

Using Dream Weaver to implement a page was hard at first, but with a lot of help from online video tutorial by users on You Tube, everything ran smoothly.  When I used Dream Weaver to open up an example calendar from the YUI package, it easily traced   all the CSS and JavaScript that was being imported into the page.  With the tracing made easier, I was able to extract what I needed from the package and upload it to a Google Project page I made, “Dev-UI-Test”, instead of uploading a the huge YUI package.  I also uploaded my own implementation of the YUI tooltip into the project page as well. 

  

The calendar.

The calendar can be useful in the Devcathlon when; the user wants to select a time interval for a match or view events that have happened in a match, the user would then click on the button and a calendar pops out.  The user would then select a date from the calendar and hit the select button; the date would automatically fill in the date text box. 

 

The calendar idea is pretty useful, in ways of helping the user and making the interface look cooler.  Also using Dream Weaver cut my work in half by helping me find what exactly I needed.  I tried to create a test server through Dream Weaver; but it seems I need an add-on from Adobe, which I’m still trying to get a hold of from a friend.  Right now a lot of the things don’t work when it comes to processing the inputs, but stay tuned into my project page for some useful YUI widgets.  Next over the few days, I’m going to try to implement the slider bar and display the increments of the slider bar’s position.  Till next time…….

No comments: