Wednesday, October 8, 2008

Exploring the TortoiseSVN's shell with a friend

Goal
I will be continuing to explore the use of Google Project Hosting, but this time I will be member of another person’s Google Project page and he will be made a member of mine.

Making a Friend
Initially we, me and my partner Vincent Leung, added each other as members to our respective Google Hosting pages. Once we were members of each other’s page, we will be able to download, make changes, and upload files back onto the page. During our lecture class time, we spent most of it setting up our pages and learning on how to thoroughly use TortoiseSVN. Class was over, so we just exchanged emails in a way to contact each other.

When Vincent was able to upload his project files to his page, I proceeded to download it. I could have easy downloaded each individual code, but I that would take longer. So I made a folder in my local hard drive, to store Vincent’s project files, and then used the ‘checkout’ option on TortoiseSVN. Using that option, I was able to direct download his entire project all at once.

After setting up his project in Eclipse, using the Ant command line shell I tried verifying his project. I got and error and a failure in the JUnit check. When I got all the errors and failures that occurred during the Ant verification corrected, everything went smoothly. Committing, or uploading, the files that were modified back onto his project page, was easily done through TortoiseSVN.

Conclusion of Exploration
This encounter of using an SVN program with a Project Hosting page further shows me the simplicity of group programming. To me the most useful part of these tools was logging or describing the what is different in the version you committed using the log of TortoiseSVN and utilizing the "Changes" tab in the Google Project page, which shows the exact line that was changed and compares the current version to a previous version of the project. The only crack in the shell, problem, I can see is if the programmer that commits the version you are currently working on doesn’t give any good description of why or what changes they made, which can cause you to rollback to later versions or retrace steps.

No comments: